Healthy Grill Up
If you like a fry-up, changing the way you cook it can make it healthier. Grilling uses no added fat and lots of the fat in the food drains away.
Grilling food is a healthy alternative to frying as it uses no fat or oil.
What You Need
- Lean bacon (one rasher per person)
- Fat reduced meat or vegetarian sausages (one per person)
- Eggs (one per person)
- Washed Mushrooms (as many as you like)
- Tomatoes tinned (1/3 of can) or fresh (1-2) medium tomatoes
- Semi-skimmed milk
- Wholemeal bread or high fibre white bread
How To Make It
- Remove the rind from the bacon.
- Pierce sausage on all sides with a fork to allow fat to run out.
- Cook sausages and bacon and tomato halves under the grill. Sausages will take about 10-15 minutes longer to cook than the bacon.
- Toast the bread and spread lightly with margarine.
- Prepare mushrooms after washing by cutting into quarters. Cook in a pan in a small amount of water over a low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a little water to the bottom of a frying pan, heat up the water on a medium heat. Crack your egg and add to the pan as you would an ordinary fried egg. Place a lid over the egg and let the steam do the work!
- Alternatively for scrambled eggs, break eggs into a bowl and mix together with a beater. Add 2 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk per egg. Then tip into a non-stick pan and cook over a low heat, stirring until almost set.
Assemble “grill up”, taking care to use kitchen paper to dry off any excess fat from sausages and bacon.