Leek And Potato Soup
What You Need (serves 4)
- 4 large leeks washed, trimmed and cut into thin rings
- 2 medium to large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or olive oil
- 820mls (1½ pints) stock - try vegetable or chicken low-salt stock cubes
- 3-4 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk
- Mixed herbs and black pepper
How To Make It
- Place the oil into a large saucepan and heat until it runs easily. Add the prepared leeks and potato, cover the pan and allow the vegetables to soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, mixed herbs and black pepper, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the leeks and potato are thoroughly cooked.
- Puree the mixture in a blender (process one third at a time), or use a mashing utensil to blend the vegetables with the fluid - making a thick soup.
- Finally add the milk to give the soup extra smoothness.
- Serve with crusty bread.
If you like your soup more chunky, reserve some of the soup once the vegetables are soft - later add this to the mixture that has undergone blending or mashing.
Recipe kindly provided by Grampian Dietitians.