Apricot Nut Wedges
What You Need (makes 9-12 wedges)
- 100g (4oz) dried apricots
- 50g (2oz) sunflower margarine
- 100g (4oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g (3oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (2oz) chopped walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F/Gas Mark 4.
- Pre-soak the apricots (or buy those not needing pre-soaking). Chop finely.
- Melt the margarine and sugar in a pan over a low flame and do not boil. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg slowly with half the nuts.
- Sieve the flour and stir into the mixture, along with the apricots and remaining nuts.
- Pour into a greased 7 inch square tin and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check the wedges are cooked by using a skewer, or a cocktail stick - insert into the mixture - if it comes out clean they are ready.
- Cool slightly then turn out onto a cooling rack, cut into squares when cold.
- Can be eaten warm as a pudding with custard, ice cream or yogurt or eaten as a healthier snack between meals.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Recipe kindly provided by the Community Dietitians of North East Wales NHS Trust.