What You Need (serves 4)
- 100g (4oz) brown lentils
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped)
- 1½ sticks of celery (chopped)
- 2 medium sized carrots (cut into sticks)
- 2 red peppers (sliced)
- 200g (8oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon tomato puree
- 200g (8oz) can red kidney beans or baked beans
- 1 tablesooon of low fat yogurt (optional)
How To Make It
- Cover the lentils with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Mix the garlic, onions, celery, carrots and peppers with the tomatoes.
- Add the paprika, chilli powder and tomato puree. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and stir well.
- Cook gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice or jacket potatoes or with warmed pitta bread.
- Try adding a spoonful of plain low fat yogurt.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.