What You Need (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 small onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 yellow peppers (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 medium aubergine (stalk removed and chopped)
- 225g (9 oz) button mushrooms (sliced)
- 397g (16oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) sunflower margarine
- 560ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 125g (5oz) lower-fat cheddar cheese (grated)
- 9 sheets lasagne Verdi
How To Make It
- Pre-heat oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and fry until softened. Add the peppers and aubergine and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and 150ml (6 fluid oz) water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile make up the cheese sauce by placing the flour, margarine nd milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, whisking continuously until thickened and smooth.
- Add 100g (4oz) of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Place alternate layers of the cheese sauce, lasagne sheets and vegetable sauce into 27.5x20x5cm shallow oven proof dish, finishing with a layer of cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the cheese sauce.
- Place into a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Serve immediately with a green salad and French bread.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.